Director of Male Infertility, Andrology and Microsurgery at the University of Southern California
Dr. Mary Samplaski is a fellowship trained, board certified (American Board of Urology), expert in Male Infertility. Born in the Midwest, she completed her medical school education at the George Washington University School of Medicine. She went on to do her residency training in Urology at the #1 ranked Urology training program in the country, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation in Cleveland, Ohio. During her time at the Cleveland Clinic she was involved in bench research and started a lab investigating the use of nanotechnology in male infertility. She then successfully completed a 2-year fellowship training program in Male Infertility and Andrology at the University of Toronto. After being highly sought after by several premier hospitals across the country (including Harvard), she chose to take her present position as the Director of Male Infertility, Andrology and Microsurgery at the University of Southern California.
Caring for individual patients and couples
While Dr. Samplaski continues to maintain academic productivity, what drives her most is caring for individual patients and couples. She knows that each couple has a unique combination of factors that are delaying their family expansion plans, and she takes the time to get to know both the male and female counterparts of each and every couple. She takes the time to understand both the medical and personal sides to her patients.
Put simply, Dr. Samplaski loves helping couples have the children that they desire so much. Couples tell her that what truly distinguishes her from other physicians is the rare combination of both intelligence and a true sense of caring. Her “Wall of Fame”, a photo collection of the many babies that she has been involved in, is displayed prominently in her office, as a reminder of what motivates her. She is there to support couples when their pregnancy journey takes unexpected turns. Nothing makes her happier than getting a card or email from couples announcing their pregnancies.
Los Angeles is Dr. Samplaski’s home. She enjoys the diversity of people, live theatre, as well as the 350 days of sun. In her personal time she enjoys trying brunch restaurants, paddle boarding, hiking and volunteering at the LA Mission.
Internationally recognized leader in Male Infertility
Dr. Samplaski is an internationally recognized leader in Male Infertility, Andrology and Microsurgery. She has spent time in Ghana with the International Volunteers in Urology medical outreach program. She is routinely invited to speak as an expert at both domestic and international conferences, including for the American Society of Reproductive Medicine and American Urological Association. On a daily basis she is involved in resident and fellow education at USC.
Dr. Samplaski continues to advance the field of Male Reproductive Medicine through her research. She has over 50 peer-reviewed publications and book chapters, many of which have changed the way we treat male factor infertility (See below). She has received numerous awards and accolades for her academic accomplishments, including the prestigious Bruce Hubbard Stewart Award for Humanistic Medicine. She is a reviewer for over 10 major urologic journals.
Dr. Samplaski is a consultant for Hollywood Health and Society, and has been interviewed by CNN Heath, the Huffington Post, New York Post and LA Times. She remains active on social media, and is followed by many reproductive groups and many of her patients.
Dr. Samplaski is a leader in of all of the major Reproductive Medicine advocacy groups:
Pacific Coast Reproductive Society
Freedom Fertility Advocacy Foundation
Western Section of the American Urologic Association
Andrology Research Consortium
Society of Reproductive Surgeons
American Society for Reproductive Medicine
Society for Male Reproduction and Urology
American Society of Andrology
Society for the Study of Male Reproduction
American Urologic Association
Society of Women in Urology
Dr. Samplaski has been interviewed by:
Dr. Samplaski's research publications include:
- Samplaski MK. Take Home Messages for Male Infertility and Andrology, AUA 2017. AUA News. Accepted for publication June 11, 2017.
- Samplaski MK. Editorial Comment: Microsurgically assisted inguinal hernia repair and simultaneous male fertility procedures: Rationale, technique and outcomes. Journal of Urology. Accepted for publication June 6, 2017.
- Samplaski MK. A Few More Fragments: Putting Sperm DNA Integrity Testing Into Clinical Practice. Translational Andrology and Urology. Accepted for publication April 11, 2017.
- Yang K, Samplaski MK, Mazzulli T, Lo K, Grober ED, Jarvi KA. Urinary Mycobacterium Avium Presenting as Sterile Pyuria. Can Urol Assoc J. 10(5-6):E186-8, 2016.
- Samplaski MK, Jarvi KA. Prognostic Factors for a Favorable Outcome After Varicocele Repair in Adolescents and Adults. Asian J Androl. 18(2):217-21, 2016.
- Samplaski MK, Bachir BG, Lo KC, Grober ED, Lau S, Jarvi KA. Cocaine Use in the Infertile Male Population: A Marker for Conditions Resulting in Subfertility. Curr Urol. 8(1):38-42, 2015.
- Samplaski MK, Nangia AK. Adverse Effects of Common Medications on Male Fertility. Nat Rev Urol 12(7): 401-13, 2015.
- Samplaski MK, Dimitromanolakis A, Lo KC, Grober ED, Mullen B, Garbens A, Jarvi KA The Relationship Between Sperm Viability and DNA Fragmentation Rates. Reprod Biol Endocrinol. 13(1): 42, 2015.
- Snow-Lisy DC, Sabanegh ES Jr, Samplaski MK, Labhasetwar V. Anatomic Targeting Improves Delivery of Unconjugated Nanoparticles to the Testicle. J Urol. 194(4):1155-61, 2015.
- Lo KC, Yildiz C, Zhu Y, Lambourne MD, Mullen JB, Samplaski MK, Jarvi KA, McKerlie C. Human Fetal Testicular Tissue Xenotransplantation- A Platform to Study the Effects of Gonadotropins on Human Germ Cell Development in Utero. J Urol. 194(2):585-91, 2015.
- Samplaski MK, Bachir B, Lo KC, Grober ED, Lau S, Jarvi KA. Cocaine Users in the Infertile Male Population: A Population with High Rates of Substance Abuse, Smoking and Genitourinary Infections. Current Urology. 8: 38-42, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Grober ED, Mehta S. Single Incision Vasectomy Reversal. Journal of Endourology, Videourology October, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Domes T, Jarvi KA. Chlamydia Infection and its Role in Male Infertility. Advances in Andrology. Volume 2014, Article ID 307950.
- Samplaski MK, Deault-Bonin M, Lo K. Genetic and Epigenetic Changes after Spermatogonial Stem Cell Culture and Transplantation. Electronic Journal of the International Federation of Clinical Chemistry. 25(1): 27-41, 2014.
- Samplaski MK. A New Re-load for the Stapled Anastomosis, Editorial Review. J Urol. 191(5): 1415, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Yu C, Kattan M, Lo KC, Grober ED, Jarvi KA. Nomograms for Predicting Changes in Semen Parameters in Infertile Men After Varicocele Repair. Fertil Steril. 102(1): 68-74, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Daniel A, Jarvi KA. Vasectomy as a Reversible Form of Contraception for Select Patients: Thinking Outside of the (Pill) Box. Can J Urol. 21(2): 7234-40, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Lo KC, Grober ED, Jarvi KA. Phenotypic Differences in Mosaic Klinfelter’s Patients as Compared with Non-Mosaic Klinefelter’s Patients. Fertil Steril.101(4): 950-5, 2014.
- Snow-Lisy DC, Sabanegh, Jr. ES, Samplaski MK, Labhasetwar V. Superoxide dismutase-loaded PLGA nanoparticles targeted with a follicle stimulating hormone peptide protect TM4 Sertoli cells from oxidative stress. Fertil Steril, 101(2): 560-7, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Loai Y, Wong K, Lo KC, Grober ED, Jarvi KA. Testosterone Use in the Male Infertility Population: Prescribing Patterns and Effects on Semen and Hormonal Parameters. Fertil Steril.101(1): 64-9, 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Lo KC, Grober ED, Jarvi KA. Finasteride Use in the Male Infertility Population: Effects on Semen and Hormonal Parameters. Fertil Steril. 100(6): 1542-6, 2013.
- Samplaski MK, Li J, Shoskes DA. Clustering of UPOINT Domains and Subdomains in Men with Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome and Contribution to Symptom Severity. J Urol, 188(5): 1788-93, 2012.
- Snow-Lisy D, Samplaski MK, Labhasetwar V, Sabanegh ES. Drug delivery to the testis: current status and potential pathways for the development of novel therapeutics. Drug Delivery and Translational Research, 1 (5): 351-360, 2013.
- Samplaski MK, Heston W, Elson P, Magi-Galluzzi C, Hansel DE. Folate Hydrolase (Prostate-Specific Antigen) 1 Expression in Bladder Cancer Subtypes and Associated Tumor Neovasculature. Modern Pathology, 24(11): 1521-9, 2011.
- Samplaski MK, Li J, Shoskes DA. Inclusion of Erectile Domain to UPOINT Phenotype Does Not Improve Correlation with Symptom Severity in Men with Chronic Prostatitis/Chronic Pelvic Pain Syndrome. Urology, 78(3): 653-8, 2011.
- Samplaski MK, Wood HM, Lane BR, Remzi FH, Lucas A, Angermeier KW. Functional and Quality of Life Outcomes in Patients Undergoing Transperineal Repair with Gracilis Muscle Interposition for Complex Rectourethral Fistula. Urology, 77(3): 736-41, 2011.
- Samplaski MK, Zhou M, Lane BR, Herts B, Campbell SC. Renal Mass Sampling: An Enlightened Perspective. International Journal of Urology, 18(1): 5-19, 2010.
- Samplaski MK, Hernandez A, Gill IS, Simmons MN. C-Index is Associated with Functional Outcomes after Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy. Journal of Urology, 184(6): 2259-63, 2010.
- Samplaski MK, Agarwal A, Sharma R, Sabanegh E. A New Generation of Diagnostic Tests for Infertility: A Review of Specialized Semen Tests. International Journal of Urology, 17(10): 839-47, 2010.
- Samplaski MK, Coleman J, Goldfarb DA. Post-Transplantation Lymphoproliferative Disorder in the Renal Transplant Ureter. Urology, 75(3): 516-9, 2010.
- Simmons MN, Ching CB, Samplaski MK, Park CK, Gill IS. Kidney Tumor Location Measurement Using the C-index Method. Journal of Urology, 183(5): 1708-13, 2010.
- Samplaski MK, Irwin BH, Desai M. Less-Invasive Ways to Remove Stones from the Kidneys and Ureters. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. 76(10): 592-8, 2009.
- Samplaski MK, Somani N, Palmer JS. Apocrine Hydrocystoma on the Glans Penis of a Child. Urology. 73(4):800-1, 2009.
- Samplaski MK, Jones JS. Two Centuries of Cystoscopy: The Evolution of Imaging, Instrumentation, and Synergistic Technologies. British Journal of Urology. 103(2):154-8, 2009.
- Samplaski MK, Rosato EL, Witkiewicz AK, Mastrangelo MJ, Berger AC. Malignant Melanoma of the Gallbladder: A Report of Two Cases and Review of the Literature. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery.6:1123-6, 2008.
- Lane BR, Samplaski MK, Herts BR, Zhou M, Novick AC, Campbell SC: Renal Mass Biopsy: A Renaissance?. Journal of Urology, 179: 20-27, 2008.
- Damaser MS, Samplaski MK, Parikh M, Lin DL, Rao S, Kerns JM. 2007. Time Course of Neuroanatomical and Functional Recovery after Bilateral Pudendal Nerve Injury in Female Rats. American Journal of Renal Physiology. 293:1614-21, 2007.
- Tedla N, Bandeira-Melo C, Tassinari P, Sloane DE, Samplaski MK, Cosman D, Borges L, Weller PF, Arm JP. Activation of Human Eosinophils Through Leukocyte Immunoglobulin-Like Receptor 7. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America. 100(3):1174-9, 2003.
- Samplaski MK, Deault-Bonin M, Lo K. Erectile Dysfunction in the Setting of Prostate Cancer. In: Sexual Health in the Couple: Management of Sexual Dysfunction in Men and Women. 2014.
- Samplaski MK, Sabanegh E. The Semen Analysis. In: Fertility Preservation in Men with Cancer. Cambridge. Cambridge University Press. 2012.
- Samplaski MK, Sokol RZ. Cancer Treatment Related Male Reproductive Problems and What Can Be Done About Them. Coping Magazine. May 2015.
- Samplaski MK. “The Role of Sperm DNA Fragmentation in the Evaluation of the Male Fertility Patient”. Society for the Study of Male Reproduction. October 2015.
- Samplaski MK, Nangia AK. American Society of Reproductive Medicine, Andrology Course: “Specific and Emperic Medical Therapies”. January 3, 2015.
- Samplaski MK, Jarvi KA. Just the Tip of the Iceberg? Reflections on Finasteride use in the Infertile Male Population. UroToday.com, “Beyond the Abstract”. December 16, 2013.
- Snow-Lisy DC, Samplaski MK, Labhasetwar V, Sabanegh E. Nanoparticles for Drug Delivery to the Testicle. Urology and Kidney Disease News. August 2012.
- Samplaski MK, Agarwal A, Sabanegh E. Advanced Semen Tests: What They Are and What They Mean. Urology and Kidney Disease News. Volume 18, Summer 2010.
- Samplaski MK, Sabanegh ES. Vasovasostomy and Vasoepididymostomy. eMedicine from WebMD. Updated July 02, 2009.